(the picture isn't out of focus, there was a beautiful mist over everything...very picturesque)
God blessed us with another glorious weekend and we spent it in the Mosel river valley. We didn’t have a well developed plan other than to enjoy the wine country, which proved to be relaxing and enjoyable. I was able to do a little intel before we left and found a couple of fests as possible attractions, as well as a few historical and cultural stops.
We started the day at the Villeroy and Boch outlet in Mettlach, Germany. (I think this would go under the “cultural” stop category. ☺) I was thrilled to be there simply because I had crossed over the border into understanding – my German is excellent in its functionality and I can ask and answer everything we would want to do as tourists. I have come to really appreciate my German (I am quick to downplay it especially when compared to truly fluent individuals, but I don't want to put it in the same category as my French, or lack thereof) since I have been trying to learn French. My vocabulary is growing in French, but I am hopeless in trying to put a sentence together, other than asking if they can speak English. We got breakfast at a lovely German bakery and I couldn’t stop grinning because I got us breakfast, coffee to go and even directions to the WC without the slightest problem. So glorious. But I digress. The Villeroy and Boch outlet was fun – totally crowded, and we were there early. After some enjoyment of lovely porcelain, crystal and various knickknacks, (wouldn’t mind going back there, some good deals as well as discounts on regular items) we decided to take in art of another kind, a fantastic Roman mosaic.
In Nennig, Germany, a fantastic mosaic was discovered in 1852 by a farmer plowing his fields. Excavations on the site soon led to the unearthing of the foundations and ruins of a palatial Roman villa whose size and appointments make it one of the most opulent of its kind in the provinces of the Roman Empire. The plans we saw of the villa were really enormous; they estimated that the property would have been over 600 meters. Truly, whoever lived in this villa was extremely wealthy (the Warren Buffet of Roman times) and influential. It makes me curious about Nennig - it is a small town at the corner of Germany, France and Luxembourg. I would never have guessed that it may have had serious roman importance.
The mosaic floor, measuring roughly 160 meters squared, was in the center of the large reception room hall. Integrated in the floor’s design was a fountain faced with marble slabs. The rigorously restructured mosaic extends like a carpet over black and white marble tiles. Diamond stars, rectangles, trapezes and squares, which are adorned with both floral and geometric patterns, provide the ornamental frame. The central motif is the square depiction of a gladiator and the six octagonal medallions presenting further scenes from the world of the amphitheatre. The mosaic was dated to the beginning of the 3rd century AD. We were both impressed with the quality of the mosaic – I can hardly believe something 1800 years old could survive in such wonderful condition. I know that it had to be reconstructed, but the tiles were all there, they just had to put the puzzle together. I can’t help but marvel at the talent and ability of the artisans who created it.
After getting up early to drive down and then soaking in shopping, history and culture, we were exhausted. Thankfully D had found a fantastic hotel that we checked into (radiant floor heating in the bathroom – I had no idea how decadent it was!) and took a rest before heading out to our small town Oktoberfest. (coming next...a picture preview here...)
3 comments:
Wow, another cool adventure! Can't wait to see more from this trip. And I'm so happy you got to put your German to good use! =)
Looks like another great weekend.
Fabulous! What a trip. I'm so glad you and Dane are able to have this amazing experience together. I have such envy.
Post a Comment