
The approach to the Mont was remarkable, catching glimpses of the top of the abbey across modern cityscapes, then across costal farmland. Around nearly every bend it seemed we were stopping to take photos as the increasingly visible detail made it increasingly incredible. As we walked up to the abbey, we both remarked how it felt like something out of the Lord of the Rings movies, and further research found Peter Jackson used the Mont as inspiration for the design of Minas Tirith in The Return of the King.

The sheep which graze in the flats around the site are a particular breed well suited to the salty conditions. I tried to get close to the locals but they wouldn't cooperate for a photo.

Apparently, Mont Saint-Michel is the second most visited site in France after Paris, and it is obvious why. J may disagree, but at this point, Mont Saint-Michel is in the running for highlight of the trip. And of course, like everything we seem to visit, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
2 comments:
That first picture looks unreal! Wow!
Stunning! I wanna go! (Have I said that already??)
Post a Comment