Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Driving (Me) Crazy

A few notes from the road: cars carrying only one passenger are very rare. Typically at least two, but often four or more people will be packed into a three-door hatchback smaller than a VW Golf.  And on weekends, the freeways are occupied by cars jammed full of vacation luggage and four, five and even six people (two in front, three in the back, with one of the passengers holding a child--actually saw this) in a tiny economy car, barreling down the road at over 130km/hour (>80mph).

It makes sense when considering the cost of fuel: sure, most cars are diesel and commonly get 40+MPG, but doing the math, diesel is €1.22/liter (or €4.61/gallon) which, with one Euro equating to approximately $1.50, that gallon of diesel costs $6.92 per gallon. I guess I'd be packing my car full too.

Aside from the contents of the cars, the speeds regularly observed are unlike anything I have seen stateside.  On a 130km/hour road, I would regularly be passed by BMWs traveling at warp speed.  Seeing headlights rapidly approach from behind when traveling over 80MPH is a bit disconcerting.  

One last odd observation: since most Europeans do not own large cars, when vacationing they rent trailers to haul luggage.  Which I suppose is why I saw a Mercedes CLK pulling what appeared to be a UHAUL-style trailer down the freeway.  I don't think people in McLean have trailer hitches on their Benzes... 

No comments: