After returning from Paris on Sunday afternoon, we spent the evening at the annual Tanks in Town festival in Mons where dozens of vintage World War II tanks, jeeps and trucks parade through the city in a two-day event commemorating the liberation of Mons.
The crowd packed the streets as the ground shook with the aging behemoths piloted by Europeans in period dress, complete with handmade American flag patches on the uniforms.


The main square in the center of town was filled with vehicles and onlookers as an American-style big band played period pieces from the 40's and 50's.

3 comments:
Very cool. I bet it made you proud to be Americans! :) Great picture of you guys, but kind of funny the juxtaposition of happy smiling couple in front of the military tank. ha ha!
That is awesome that they commemorate the liberation, and they remember and celebrate the US efforts in WWII. I had no idea they had this type of terrific event.
You all must be having a wonderful time -- so many amazing and interesting things you are getting to do! We are enjoying getting a glimpse along with you.
That's awesome. I can't believe, with all the animosity towards the US, that they'd still credit us this way. I would love to see that event some time. I bet it would be eerie to see the old tanks rolling and the period dress.
Post a Comment